Monday, November 06, 2006

Ayer Marchamos, Hoy Votamos

(The "Marcha" reflected onto the windows of City Hall,
Downtown Dallas, Spring 2006)

"Yesterday we marched, today we vote". That's on a sign I saw in my mostly Latino neighborhood recently. It reminds me to VOTE TOMORROW! And that has reminded me of my strongest election memories, which I'll recount below...all six of them:

  1. High School - I either ran for office or helped my friend run. What I remember was the smart-alec negative campaign slogan against a fellow student. Our poster had the competitor's picture with the slogan "Can you really trust this person with your vote?" This was during the era of the "tricky Dick" impeachment hearings, so we thought it was clever...needless to say "the man", ie. principal, squelched our campaign saying it was innappropriate...
  2. College - my first service project was an idea I hatched up after reading an article about hunger in Lafayette Parish (ie. county). I went to the Clerk of Court Office and proposed that we have a canned good drive along with an upcoming election. The Clerk agreed, and to my JOY even gave me a little office and use of the copier and phone...I've always loved office supplies! Of course he got a lot of PR value out of it, and I had a great experience actually making a project happen in the community!
  3. Before leaving Lafayette I somehow got roped into being an election judge. I thought it would be exciting to be a part of the election process. I hadn't taken into consideration the early hours (I had to BE THERE at 6am), the late hours (didn't leave until 10pm) and how BORING it would be most of the time...even in Louisiana there was no cheating, no drama...
  4. I was so excited when President Clinton won because it was my first EVER election outcome that matched my vote! At the rate we're going, it may be the ONLY one...
  5. Two years ago Ricardo became a citizen and a few weeks later got to vote in the presidential election. It was wonderful to witness how seriously this new American took his privilege. I hope all the new NEW Americans vote tomorrow. Yesterday they marched, now they should vote...
  6. Earlier this year, Sofia ran for VP of the student council. She learned a lot throughout the process, she did a great job planning her speech, she made "Be Weir'd" buttons for hours, she campaigned hard...and lost...it was a disappointment I know, but she's moved on and learned from it!

Well, let me know your favorite election memory...By the way, Sofia and I went to the "Marcha" earlier this year, check out our video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjHlPIO9-ko

No comments: